PREP: 25 MINS COOK: 10 MINS plus marinating
SERVES A FAMILY OF 3-5 DEPENDING ON AGES
4 chicken breasts (cut into chunks)
olive oil (for frying)
For the marinade
4 lime (juice only)
2 tsp fajita seasoning
4 spring onions(finely sliced)
1 fat garlic clove (crushed)
For the salsa
1 red pepper
½ jar roasted pepper (we used Gaea Red Peppers Flame Roasted 290g)
1 small apple (peeled)
4 ripe tomatoes
½ lime (juice only)
small bunch coriander (leaves picked)
chilli sauce (optional)
For the guacamole
2 very ripe avocados (halved and stone removed)
½ lime (juice only)
grated cheese (to serve)
6 - 8 tortillas (you can now get mini tortillas for kids)
soured cream (optional)
- Grown-ups: Put the chicken and marinade ingredients in a bowl and cover. Put in the fridge for at least two hours.
- Children: If your children are 5 or over, you can get them to roughly chop the pepper, roasted pepper, apple and tomatoes for the salsa using a good quality firm plastic knife or cutlery knife. Otherwise do this yourself. Younger children can pick the leaves from the coriander and mix them into the salsa.
- Grown-ups: Tip the salsa ingredients into a food processor, along with the lime juice and a little seasoning and pulse until finely chopped. Take out 2 large spoons of the mixture for younger children, then add chilli sauce, if using, and pulse again to combine.
- Children: Squeeze or spoon the avocado into a bowl and use a potato masher to mash it. Stir in the lime juice and some black pepper with a spoon. Lime juice can sting so grown ups may want to squeeze them for younger children.
- Grown-ups: Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and pour the contents of the chicken bowl into the pan. Cook for 5- 8 minutes or until the chicken chunks are cooked through.
- Children: Put the grated cheese, salsa (for grown-ups and children), guacamole and sour cream in separate colourful bowls to put on the table.
- Grown-ups: Heat the tortillas according to the pack instructions and put the cooked chicken in a bowl. Show children how to fill and roll their tortilla.
- Children: Lay out your tortilla, choose your toppings, roll them up and eat!